Sunday, February 12, 2006

Getting Organized, Ontologies and Taxonomies

It's the blooming middle of February and my New Year resolutions are already a fading memory! One was to get organized - not just neaten-up the same old crap but methodically get organized (Travis Bickle "organizized") - no more loose ends; a place for everything and everything in its place!
'Course right out of the gate I have a problem, two problems actually and their names are ontology and Taxonomy! The ontology for organized living means defining the classes or categories into which your "stuff" is divided. If an object meets the definition of the category it can be managed in the same way as other members of that group. Let's take for example - my socks. By definition socks are those objects, in pairs, that fit on my feet, inside my shoes. From now on whenever I find socks lying about I know that they are managed by being placed in the sock drawer.
The next step is to think about how socks should best be arranged within their category - how should they be arranged within the sock drawer. This is the Taxonomy for my socks. Perhaps I will divide them by color, or by age, or by the date I purchased them...it can all be so complicated!
At least one point worth remembering is that there is NOT necessarily a one-to-one relationship between an ontology and a Taxonomy. In fact, there may be many Taxonomies associated with each ontology.
Clearly, this seems like a pointless narrative but it actually has some serious consequences. Arranging any type of information so that others can find and use it often hinges on defining the categories into which it will be divided - should a library contain only books? What about hardback versus paperback? Once we agree on the forms of the information we intend to manage we then must consider how it should be navigated; fiction versus non-fiction; classics versus young adult, etc. Here the key is to have a structure that seems universally "intuitive" but is also not ambiguous.
Next time I need to think finding information when intuitive signposts are not available.

No comments: